Episode 2.23

04Nov12

Beth, Jen and Tracie discuss free speech, Richard Mourdock's comments and more.

(Episode 2.22, featuring Dr. Darrell Ray had a recording error and may not be salvageable. We will post it if we're able.)

• Tax

If I’m in a minority neighborhood vocalizing disparaging remarks about the ancestry of the peoples who live in that neighborhood, what should happen to me? It’s not a gated community, free speech and all that. I’m just protesting the darkness in their soul as evidenced by the darkness of their skin.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:37 pm
  • microbiologychick

Tax:

NOTHING should happen to you.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm
  • microbiologychick

NOTHING.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm
  • BV

I like the idea of re-branding christian fundamentalists into the “Christian Taliban.” I hope the name catches on and people find themselves wanting to distance themselves from this kind of movement. #ChristianTaliban :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm
  • BV

RE: sex, gender selection

I think what really freaks me out is the possibilities that in the near future people could be trait selecting. Also there’s induced gamete mutations which can be screened through abortion. I’m sliding down the slippery slope here, but I would like to hear your opinion on how far should personal “choice” go before it becomes immoral. Genetic eugenics freaks me the F out. And the possibility of fetal organ harvesting freaks me out. However that being said, I think your current position is correct no matter how uncomfortable it makes “ME” feel. Your thoughts? -B

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm
  • ullrich fischer

Re Atheist No-Choice people, (and “Men’s Rights”, pro-rape atheists). I wonder if anyone has studied how many of these folks are “temporary atheists” attempting to disrupt the secular movement before “re-finding” their Faith. IMHO, the only “moral” justifications for denying any segment of humanity their human rights — from the right to control their own bodies, to the right to marry same-sex partners, to slavery — come from religious dogma. Just as some people can and do profess to be Christians to preserve family and job relationships, I suspect some people can and do profess to be atheists in order to get closer to “lost souls” so they can try to bring them back into the fold.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:39 pm
  • Annique

This reminded me (the section on free speech and legal threats to it) of a guy in the Netherlands who threw a tealightholder to the golden chariot of the queen. He was impriosned for an ‘indeterminate time’ which turned out to be ONE AND A HALF YEAR for a fucking tea light holder against a golden chariot.

Trust me, over here, if you were to throw that thing in my FACE you wouldn’t get jailed. If I were lucky you would pay a couple hundred euro’s in medical bills, damages, fine etc.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:11 am
  • Alberto

What has happened to this show, nothing annoyed me at all this time. You all also appeard to be in agreement about everything that each other said. Can you please say outrageous things or at least have some disagreements between you next time.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:15 am
  • bj

regarding the ‘natural law” argument used by anti-choicers, I just want to point out that when we tell them ‘hey, cancer is natural too, yet we try to stop it’ they love to come out with the argument that “pregnancy is a natural *healthy*, wonderful thing, whereas we must stop cancer because cancer, though it may be natural, is not *healthy*.”

they always have a way to weasel out of everything of course, they completely neglect to mention that pregnancy is not uh, exactly ‘healthy’ to the mother.

idiots

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm
  • anonemous

“IMHO, the only “moral” justifications for denying any segment of humanity their human rights”

Lol no, any kind of ideology, whether involving gods or not, heck, just anything that is supported by a society or social group, such as why homosexuality is “wrong” for this or other reason, can justify anything of this kind. Don’t wanna have any black sheep among your chosen group, do you? It’s always the religious people that bring the evil! Yea, no.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:27 am
  • James

Ladies……we are all desperate for some post election analysis!!!!!!!

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:02 am
  • BV

I thought you chould see this study; “What happens to women denied abortions? This is the first scientific study to find out.”

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm
  • Stephan Goodwin

Talking about the race of the adopted child, I’ll give you the thought that my wife and I have on this issue. Since I am white, and my wife is black, we want a child that will appear to be our child. Not because we don’t want a child of another race, but simply for the comfort of the child growing up, so that it is easier for the child to relate to both of us.

Now, when the time comes, and if we can only get a child whose race makes it clear that the child isn’t ours, that is fine too. But we do have a preference.

“Luckily” for us, most of the children up for adoption in the USA are brown, so we’ll be fine. Luckily in quotes, because it is sad about the disparity of children up for adoption…

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:38 pm
  • free criminal background check

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm
  • JM

In my opinion every Atheist should at least think about being tolerant of everything that the churches exclude. LGBT woman’s rights civil rights etc. Or they have not fully thought out why they are atheists in the first place,yet. Being so marginalized in society all Atheists should realize this on the path to truth. As a group Atheists have the power to change all these ideas if we all stand up. On this path to truth Atheist have to knock down the Religious arguments like these that affect our daily lives down one by one.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm